Nestled in the lap of mountains in the Himalayas, Auli is a beautiful hill station located in Chamoli district in the state of Uttarakhand. Perched at an elevation of 9200 ft makes it one of the highest hill stations in Uttarakhand. Auli is also popular by the name of “Mini Switzerland” for its meadows and lush greenery and also the weather here is very pleasant round the year. Auli is a popular winter destination among travellers in India. As it is covered with a heavy blanket of snow in winters. Travellers admire the panoramic views of snow-laden mountains.
Read Also: 4 Amazing and Unbelievable Spots in Gangtok
What is there to do in Auli?
Auli is blessed with many adventures and breathtaking places to visit nearby. One will never fall short of things to do in Auli.
- Skiing in the meadows of Auli.
- Enjoy one of the highest ropeway rides in India.
- Trek in the beautiful trails of Gurson Bugyal and enjoy the enchanting views of Nanda Devi peak.
- Visit the beautiful artificial lake in Auli
- Camping in Auli Top
- Visit popular nearby places such as Kuari pass, Chenab Lake, Chattrakund and Vishnuprayag.
How to plan your Auli Trip?
To plan your Auli trip, you need to have at least 5-6 days’ time to explore Auli. You can plan your Auli trip Itinerary in this way.
DAY: 1 [Drive to Joshimath – 265 km/ 10 hr]
- Arrival in Rishikesh.
- Take an early morning bus to Joshimath
- Witness the charming beauty of Uttarakhand in between. You’ll cross Devprayag, Rudraprayag and Gullar.
- You’ll reach Joshimath late in the evening.
- Overnight stay in Joshimath.
DAY: 2 [Full Day at Auli]
- Wake up in the morning.
- Have your breakfast, and get your Ropeway tickets (1000/ person) from the nearby ticket centre.
- Indulge in breathtaking adventure sports such as skiing and cable car rides.
- Enjoy a full day at Auli.
- Overnight Stay at Auli.
DAY: 3 [Trek to Gurson Bugyal]
- Wake up a little early in the morning and get ready for Gurson Bugyal Trek.
- Start your trek for Gurson Bugyal from Auli along with a professional guide.
- On the way, you’ll witness the mountains covered with blankets of snow and landscapes that look more scenic.
- Finish your trek and reach back to Auli by evening.
- Overnight stay in Auli.
DAY: 4 [Sightseeing in Auli]
- Wake up in the morning and watch the beautiful sunrise.
- This day you can explore the popular attractions near Auli.
- You can visit Vishnuprayag and Chattrakund which is nearby to Auli.
- In the evening visit back to Auli and overnight stay.
DAY: 5 [Drive to Rishikesh – 265 km/ 9 hr]
- Wake up early in the morning.
- Post breakfast, take a taxi to Joshimath
- And then a bus towards Rishikesh.
- You’ll reach Rishikesh by evening.
- Overnight stay in Rishikesh.
DAY: 6 [Departure Day]
- Take a bus to your desired destination.
And if you want no-hassle you can plan your trip to Auli, Uttarakhand with India Thrills. They’re one of the best tour operators in Uttarakhand offers packaged tours with accommodation, meals and transfer at affordable prices.
Nearby Places to Visit in Auli:
There are 7 major attractions to visit in Auli. You should visit these places if you’re in Auli. These are the most popular places where travellers can relax and enjoy their leisure time.
Read Also: 4 Best Travel Destinations in South India
It is one of Asia’s highest man-made lakes in India. Auli lake is a crystal clear lake which is built to provide snow on ski-slopes during rainfall.
Auli Ropeway: Auli hosts the second-highest ropeway ride in India. The ropeway is 4 km long that connects Joshimath to Auli. It is one of the major attractions in Auli. The cost of two-way tickets for Joshimath-Auli-Joshimath is Rs 1000 per person.
Read Also: Kudremukh Trek
Narsingh Temple – Located 30 km from Auli in Joshimath, Narsingh is a famous temple of God “Narsingh”. It’s spectacular architecture and scenery is what makes it popular among tourists.
Vishnuprayag – Named after god “Vishnu”, Vishnuprayag is a popular place which has high religious significance. It is one of the “Panch Prayag” in Uttarakhand. This place is also known as it is the origin point of many treks such as “Valley of flower” and “Hemkund” lake.
Read Also: Kumara Parvatha trek
Chattrakund – Chattrakund is another pristine lake near Auli. This beautiful lake has sweet water which is the reason many tourists visit this place. Surrounded by the coniferous tree and lush greenery, this lake is a must-visit.
Rishikesh: Rishikesh is just 6 hr drive away from Joshimath, Auli. This place is also known as “Adventure Capital of India”. The wide varieties of adventure sports such as rafting and camping make it popular among adventure enthusiasts. One can choose among many campsites located in Rishikesh. The cost of Camping here starts from Rs 999 only.
Valley of Flower National Park – As the name suggests, the valley of flower this place has varieties of flowers. To visit “Valley of Flower”, one needs to reach “Govindghat” which is just 20 km from Joshimath. From there, you’ve to trek 16 km to reach “Valley of flower”. This place looks heavenly during the month of September after the monsoon.
Best Time to Visit Auli:
Throughout the year, Auli is packed with tourists. It is kind of an evergreen hill station and can be visited in summers as well as in winters too.
- Winters: If you love snowfall, then October-February is the best time for you.
- Summers: But if you like the greenery, landscapes and panoramic views then the months of March – June are perfect.
- Monsoon: It is not recommended to visit during rainfall (August & September).
How to reach Auli, Uttarakhand:
- By Air: The nearest airport to Auli is Jollygrant Dehradun Airport. From here, you can take a direct cab to Auli Or another option is to take a bus to Rishikesh and from there board a bus to Joshimath. And then hire a taxi or shared cab till Auli.
- By Road: The nearest bus station is Rishikesh ISBT, from here you can board a bus to Joshimath then take a shared cab till Auli.
- By Train: The nearest railway station is Haridwar or Dehradun Railway Station. From here you can catch a bus to Joshimath, then take a shared cab to Auli.