Exercise To Pass Kidney Stones
Although kidney stones are quite common, you cannot ignore or take them casually when you notice symptoms. The symptoms of kidney stones are quite severe and can hinder your routine tasks. Kidney stone pain, or renal colic, is one of the most intense pains one can ever imagine. Along with the pain, kidney stones can also mess with your urinary system and add to your misery.
Since kidney stones are so troublesome, it is quite obvious that you would want to get rid of them as fast as possible. If you are thinking of the ways to get rid of kidney stones faster, you’ll be relieved to know that there are a few things that can help you in this.
One of the most important things that can provide relief from kidney stones is regular exercise. Exercise prevents the formation of kidney stones in the first place. However, if you are already dealing with kidney stones, exercise can prove to be of great help in this condition as well.
A quick fact: According to data from a study conducted on 85,000 postmenopausal women, regular exercising reduced the chances of kidney stone development by about 31 percent.
Benefits of exercising if you are dealing with kidney stones
Low fluid intake and lack of physical exercise are the two major factors that contribute to the development of kidney stones. Kidney stones are very often linked to obesity, heart, and blood pressure-related issues. Regular exercise helps keep the cholesterol levels and body weight in check, thereby reducing the worsening of kidney stones.
Exercising regularly monitors the levels of salts, calcium, and minerals in the body. Exercise helps in flushing excess oxalates, salts, and minerals out of the body. This prevents them from crystallizing to form kidney stones. Therefore, exercising prevents the enlargement of the existing stones and also prevents new stones from forming.
Read Also: Symptoms of kidney failure
Moreover, if you exercise regularly, it diverts the excess calcium present in the body towards the bones. This ensures that the calcium does not combine with oxalates to form calcium oxalate stones. Therefore, staying active and practicing mild exercises can go a long way in preventing the condition of your kidney stones from worsening.
The only thing you need to remember is to stay hydrated at all times. Exercise causes sweating and lack of hydration can further trigger the symptoms of kidney stones. So, increase your fluid intake and drink 12-14 glasses of water each day.
Also, while exercising, remember not to indulge in high-intensity exercises. Strenuous physical exercises can worsen the pain and discomfort of kidney stones.
Effective exercises to pass kidney stones from your body
For faster relief from kidney stones, mild exercises are a must. Just remember that it is not the intensity of the exercise that matters, it is the quality and quantity of exercise that does.
As such there are no particular exercises recommended for kidney stones. As long as you exercise on a routine basis, you are good to go. You can jog for 30 minutes, or take a 30-minute stroll, or do a little cardio.
Aquatic exercises and aerobics can also work wonders in the condition of kidney stones. These exercises improve the functioning of the kidneys and help to keep the kidneys healthy.
Moderate low-intensity exercises also increase blood circulation to the kidney. Exercising regularly aids the detoxification of the body and improves the process of filtering. The better the filtering process, the more urea will be flushed out of the body. Better circulation of blood also prevents salts and minerals from sticking to the existing stones.
In addition to preventing the enlargement of stones, exercising can also speed up the passage of small to medium-sized stones. In some cases, the stones do not move around in the urinary tract and just stay in one place. It is difficult to pass such stones naturally through the urine. Exercises can act as a facilitator in such cases. Exercising aids the movement of such stones so that they can be flushed out along with the urine.
Yoga exercises that help in passing out kidney stones
You must be aware that yoga is beneficial both for mental and physical well-being. Yoga aids the treatment of a number of ailments. This is true in the case of kidney stones as well. There are numerous yoga asanas that alleviate the symptoms of kidney stones and also boost the passage of small stones.
Read Also: Yoga practices aid to Migraine victims
Some of the best yoga asanas for kidney stones are:
- Ushtra Asana (Camel pose)- Ushtrasana Improves blood circulation and strengthens the abdominal organs, thereby reducing pain.
- Pawanmuktasana (Wind relieving pose)- Pawanmuktasana tones the abdominal muscles and can aid in the removal of stones in mild cases.
- Bhujangasana (Cobra pose)- Bhujangasana stimulates the urinary system and improves the functioning of the kidneys.
- Dhanurasana (Bow pose)- Dhanurasana improves blood circulation, strengthens abdominal organs and increases the elasticity of the back muscles. Therefore, Dhanurasana is very effective in relieving the pain of kidney stones.
Watch video below on how to pass Kidney stones.
What else you can do to get rid of kidney stones?
Exercising alone might not suffice if your consumption is not in accordance with your condition of kidney stones.
- Along with exercising regularly, make sure that you drink lots of lemon soda and fresh juices. This will help in passing kidney stones faster.
- Eat bananas and citrus fruits in your regular diet. This prevents the formation of new kidney stones and stops the existing ones from growing.
- Barley water is an excellent remedy that works wonders in dissolving the kidney stones
- Incorporate more citrus fruits in your diet. The citrate present in these fruits helps in dissolving kidney stones.
Tips to remember if you want to pass kidney stones with ease
- Limit the intake of salt and sugar as these can aggravate the condition.
- Avoid junk, processed, and preserved foods as these can lead to constipation and trigger the symptoms even more.
- Avoid excessive animal-based protein and switch to plant-based protein.
- Cut back on the consumption of caffeine and colas
As your lifestyle and eating habits play an important role in getting rid of kidney stones, make sure you follow all the things mentioned above. Doing so will serve in your favor only. And not just kidney stones, exercising, and a healthy diet will boost your health in a holistic way. Also, don’t forget to consult a Kidney Stone specialist so that you can be assured of your condition! That’s all about how to pass Kidney stones.
Read Also: World Kidney Day 2020