Electric generators are machines or devices that convert some type of energy into electrical energy. But, what types of electric generators exist? In this article we are going to solve the most common doubts about the different types of electricity generators.
Some electric generators are used by electric companies to transform and supply energy for the electric network. Others are for private, domestic or industrial use. The latter are mostly used when there is no electrical current available and electricity supply is needed to start appliances.
Besides, choosing the right type of generator for your business or home, you should also consider different renting and whole house generator financing options.
What types of electric generators are there?
The most important are:
- Electromechanical electrical generators;
- Electrochemical electrical generators;
In turn, they comprise other subcategories. Let’s see it in detail.
Types of electromechanical electric generators
These electric power generators are capable of transforming the energy coming from a motor. This transformation occurs with the help of two different types of devices depending on the energy you want to use: alternators or dynamos.
Some types of electromechanical electrical generators are:
- Gasoline-powered generators;
- Diesel engine generators;
- Dynamic generators.
Types of electrochemical electrical generators
This classification of electric generators includes batteries and rechargeable accumulator batteries.
Batteries are mainly used for machinery that works with electrical energy without the need to connect to the network. Forklifts, lifting platforms or lighting towers are some of the devices that usually have this type of generator.
They are a type of electric generators that obtain energy from the sun to transform it into electrical energy. This is how the photovoltaic solar panels already common today work.
They are the gasoline and diesel generators and include the modern inverter generator. They generate alternating current through fuel (gasoline or diesel) for outdoor work or in those cases where electricity from the national power grid cannot be used.
What is a homemade electric generator for?
The uses of generators in industry, placing generators on roofs, construction and other professional sectors are well known. But it is becoming more and more common to buy or rent types of small-sized electric generators for home use.
Why? What is an electric generator used for in a house? What can you do with it?
Generally, home generators are used to:
- Provide electricity supply to the home in case of blackouts, own electrical failure or the supply network;
- Provide the home with electricity when the power contracted from the electrical network is not sufficient. For example, if air conditioning is used in summer or electric heating in winter in several rooms at the same time, with a consumption power greater than the contracted power. Or when works are carried out and it is necessary to provide electricity to different professional machines.