UAN stands for Universal Account Number that helps every employee identify their EPF (Employee Provident Fund) deposits and maintain them safely. Besides, it helps link different PF accounts started by multiple employers under a common identity. As this number is accessible only by the account holder, it provides the safest access to their EPF accounts and helps manage them properly. Let us now see how to check, generate, and activate UAN. But before that, here are some aspects every employee should know about UAN.
What is UAN?
UAN is a 12-digit UID (unique identification number) assigned by the Ministry of Labour and Employment. The Employees Provident Fund Organization generates two distinct UANs for the employee and the employer. The UAN remains constant for the employee throughout their careers, irrespective of the number of jobs they change during their lives.
Every time there is a job change, the employee gets a new member ID that links to the existing UAN. Generally, the employee can access the UAN member portal and request the member ID with EPFO. Alternatively, the employer can use their UAN to generate a new employee member ID.
How do you check your UAN?
An employee can check the UAN in multiple ways.
With the employer
Generally, the employer is responsible for notifying the employees about their UANs. If it is your first employment, you might not have a record of your UAN. The easiest way to check your UAN is to verify your salary slip. It will have the UAN, especially if the employer starts deducting PF and remitting it to EPFO.
Alternatively, you can find your UAN on the UAN member portal.
Finding UAN on the website
Finding your UAN on the UAN member portal is easy.
- Access the UAN portal and click on the “Know Your UAN” option.
- You might have to fill-up the form providing information about your PF number.
- If you use the PF number option, you need to complete the parameters and choose the respective state and EPFO from the dropdown menu.
- Alternatively, you can enter your basic credentials like PAN, Aadhar number, etc.
- You have to furnish your name, DOB, mobile number and enter the captcha code in both cases.
- On clicking the “Get Authorization Pin” option, you will receive the PIN on your registered mobile number.
- Enter it and click the “Validate OTP” option to view the UAN button.
- Click on the UAN button to receive your UAN on your mobile through SMS.
Through Missed Call Facility
Alternatively, you can check your UAN by using the ‘Missed Call’ facility provided by EPFO. However, this option is available for those members who have already registered on the UAN member portal.
- Use your registered mobile to give a missed call to 011-22901406
- The call automatically disconnects after two rings
- Immediately, you receive an SMS with your UAN and other PF details.
Let us learn how to generate your UAN.
How to generate UAN
The employer has to generate the UAN for their employees. Therefore, the employee must submit the following documents to help the employers generate UAN.
- Identity Proof – Aadhar card, PAN card, driving license, voter ID, passport, etc
- Address Proof – Ration card, copy of the latest utility bill, rental/lease agreement, etc.
- Bank Account Information – Bank account number and the IFSC
Other acceptable documents include an ESIC card if you have one.
The following steps can help generate the UAN.
- The employer has to log in to the EPF Employer Portal using the establishment ID and password.
- Select the ‘Member’ tap and choose ‘Register Individual.’
- Provide the details asked for.
- Check the details and click on the ‘Approval’ button.
- The EPFO generates a new UAN.
Employers can easily link the UAN with the employees’ PF accounts.
We have seen how to generate and check UAN. Next, let us learn the UAN activation process.
Activating the UAN does not take much time. However, the following steps are necessary for UAN activation.
- Access the EPF Member Portal and click on the ‘Activate UAN’ option.
- The user gets three options for UAN activation, UAN, Aadhar/PAN Card, or Member ID.
- Select whichever option is feasible.
- Enter the details asked for by the system. It includes your name, DOB, mobile number, email ID, etc.
- Click on the ‘Get Authorisation PIN’ option.
- You get the PIN on your registered mobile. Enter the PIN and choose ‘Validate OTP and Activate UAN.’
- This step activates the UAN. Then, the user gets confirmation by SMS on the registered mobile number.
The UAN is critical because it is a unique number issued to each employee, enabling them to access their PF accounts and maintain them. Moreover, the number remains the same throughout their lives, irrespective of the number of jobs they change. Therefore, every employee should understand the significance of UAN and know how to generate, check, and activate them.