Experiencing Both Back & Neck Pain? Physiotherapy Can Help
Neck pain which is medically referred to as cervicalgia is a common problem with two-thirds of the population. We all experience neck pain at some point in our lives. Neck pain which is felt in the neck can be caused by numerous other problems. Significant causes may relate to spinal complexities. The pain may arise due to muscular tightness in both the neck and upper back. It is also caused by pinching of the nerves emanating from the cervical vertebrae. Joint disruption is the major cause of neck pain and it also causes joint disruption in the upper back resulting in further ailments. The bones, ligaments, and muscles of your neck are meant to support your head. It also manages the range of motion. Any abnormalities, inflammation, or injury in the back can also cause neck pain. It also gives rise to stiffness. Many people experience neck and back pain with stiffness occasionally. It usually happens due to injuries or having a poor posture can also contribute to the same. But sometimes neck and back pain can indicate serious problems. These problems include various illnesses, some of which are mentioned below.
a) Cervical Spondylosis
c) Rheumatoid arthritis
f) Herniated cervical disk
g) Spinal stenosis
h) Muscle tension and strain
j) Heart attack
When to contact a professional?
Most neck pain goes over time and some gradually with home treatment. If the neck or back pain persists then immediately seek your doctor. Center for Physiotherapy in Kanata suggested that one should also see a doctor if they have:
- Severe pain in the neck without any apparent cause.
- A lump in your neck.
- High fever for more than 3 days.
- Headaches, mostly migraine, and sinus.
- Swelling in glands.
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Trouble in swallowing and breathing.
- Weakness in the body.
- Numbness sensation.
- Tingling of feet.
- Pain that radiates down your arms and legs.
- The inability to move your arms and hands.
- The inability to touch your chin to your chest.
How Physiotherapy Can Help?
Physiotherapy is often considered as one of the most successful ways to treat chronic neck and back pain simultaneously. It not only helps you manage the symptoms in a better manner but can also help in improving the flexibility and strength of the neck and lower and upper back muscles. As suggested by experts in Physiotherapy Ottawa, some simple physiotherapy exercises can be performed to experience comfort and further help the muscles recover quickly.
- Turning the Neck: Slowly turn your neck towards one side of the body at 90° and hold the posture for 5 to 7 seconds. While doing so make sure that your jaw is at the same height throughout the process. Now, gently turn your neck to the other side of the body and hold for 5 to 7 seconds. To ensure benefits, repeat this exercise 5 times.
- Tilting the Neck: It is one of the simplest and easiest exercises to get rid of your neck and back pain. Tilt your neck downwards and touch your chin to the chest. Hold this position for at least 5 seconds. Now return to the original position and repeat the same exercise 5 times.
- Side Tilting: To perform this procedure you need to tilt your neck sideways which is towards your shoulders. Hold the position for 5 seconds and return to the original one i.e. to the center. Now tilt your neck to the other side of the shoulder and hold this posture for 5 seconds. For better outcomes, repeat the exercise at least 5 times on each adjacent side.
With the right physiotherapy, you can get rid of both back and neck pain caused due to different issues. We suggest you consult some physiotherapist near you and take the necessary steps to recover quickly.