Planning a vacation can be exciting. But, the most challenging part for many people is what to pack. You may end up carrying too much. It can be pretty hard to decide what to bring along. In the end, you have suitcases upon suitcases of stuff. Stuff that you will most likely not end up using.
The other issue is ensuring the safety of whatever you bring along. As of 2020, the number of lost bags dropped to 3.5 per 1,000 passengers. You may wonder why we use the word dropped. The figure signifies an 83% decrease since 2007 in baggage mismanagement during transit.
Imagine if you were one of the 3.5 people who lost valuables during a trip. What if some of your finest jewelry pieces were in the luggage. The financial implication will be hard to bear, especially if you had not insured the pieces.
Our article will share fantastic tips on packing jewelry for a vacation. We will focus on fine or the more expensive pieces. But you can also use the same advice for fashion or costume jewelry.
Decide On the Jewelry to Bring With You
You love every single piece of jewelry in your collection. Indeed every single one has some beautiful memory or sentiment attached to it. That diamond eternity ring was a promise from your loved one of eternal and enduring love. It has never, for a moment, left your ring finger, twenty years after you got it.
The diamond pendant was a present from your kids. The tennis bracelet was a thank you to yourself after getting the promotion you worked so hard for.
Bringing along some of the fine jewelry pieces will be easy. For the eternity ring, it is a piece that never leaves your fingers. So there is no challenge there. But you need to determine which extra pieces you will bring along.
The first thing you need to decide is whether you really want to carry along expensive pieces. The diamond ring cost a lot of money. And, you intend to spend a lot of vacation time exploring the outdoors. Do you want to risk losing it? If the answer is no, consider leaving it in the safety of your home safe for the duration of the trip.
The next tip is to think about multiple functionalities. Your diamond stud earrings look great during the day. Yet, they can also transition into stylish accessories for your evening wear. That frees you from having to pack so many different earring designs.
Let’s say there are times you will be dressing up. You may want to accessorize during a fancy dinner outing with your partner. Don’t bring along a wide selection of jewelry. Instead, bring a few that have more neutral palettes. Such will blend well with any color outfit, ensuring you look great.
Organize the Jewelry for Travel
Do not throw your priced jewelry in a pouch. You have the option of a jewelry case that has compartments in it. That way, you can separate the items for easier access. Soft organizers are also quite convenient.
Unlike the case, they will not take up too much space in your luggage. Yet you can still categorize the items as you wish. Depending on the specific jewelry, you need to know some packing tips.
- For necklaces, the trick is to ensure no tangle. Roll each of them in microfiber or soft tissue. Whatever you use should not be rough to avoid scratching the necklace.
- Another tip is to use a straw. Thread the necklace through it and close the clasp. In this way, you will not have to worry about tangling.
- Keep your bracelets separate from your necklaces. You can put them in a Ziploc bag or pouch.
- Pierce your earrings through a piece of fabric or cardboard. Make sure to include the back stopper for those that require them.
- If you have a pill organizer, it will work great for smaller pieces. Use it to store rings and stud earrings. Do not mix dangling earrings with necklaces or bracelets. Use the single compartment in the pill organizer for each one of them.
Other Important Points on Traveling with Jewelry
Please take note of the following when traveling with jewelry.
- Do not check in the bag containing the jewelry. Have it on you at all times as a carry-on.
- Wear as many of the jewelry pieces as you can. Don’t worry about setting off the alarm. Some of the high-end ones will not trigger the systems. And even if they do, the security officials can do a manual check.
- The Transport and safety authority allows for private security checks if you have valuable items. It is a good option because you never know who is watching you. The security check may expose the fact that you are carrying valuable items. It could place you at considerable risk during the transit or your point of destination.
- Remember to take photos or document any pieces you will be carrying. In case of unfortunate incidents like theft or loss, you will have sufficient proof when filing a report.
- Security should be a key concern, especially if you will carry fine jewelry. You may also want to check out some jewelry insurance options.
We have shared jewelry packing tips for a vacation. But you will notice we started with a very critical section. And that is deciding what to carry along. Of course, you want to look good during the vacation. But it is not necessary to bring along your whole expensive jewelry collection.
For Puravida Bracelets fine jewelry, think of multiple functionalities, neutral palettes, and as few pieces as possible. Make sure you lock whatever you leave behind in a safe or bank box. When packing valuable pieces, take care to avoid any damage.
Separate the items for easy access. That is also important to prevent the tangling of some of the pieces. Necklaces, for example, are pretty notorious for that. Finally, exercise caution during the transit. Do not check in any bags containing jewelry. And wear what you can during the trip.